We're on the cusp of Thanksgiving & Christmas, which makes this the perfect time to remind ourselves to find rest. The hustle, the over-filled schedule, and even all the delight of the holidays can wear a sister out, right?
How can we preemptively plan for what we know will be an intense few weeks? Here's seven suggestions to keep in your back pocket when overwhelm & holiday stress hit:
- Connect to art & do something creative without worrying how it'll turn out. Just be sure to make a mess.
- Do something unproductive
- Give yourself permission to not be helpful
- Listen to a favorite song. One day it may be 'Oceans' by Hillsong; the next 'Paul Revere' by Beastie Boys. You do you.
- Be still & allow yourself to decompress. Deep breathing exercises really do calm the body & mind.
- Sneak away to a park & walk for 10 minutes
- Make & keep a running PAM list.
And guess what? Most of these don't require a lot of time.
What they DO require of us:
- A willingness to say 'no' to good things that leave us with zero margin
- And a determination to fuel our souls in the busiest of seasons.
And friend, I believe in you. I believe we have not only have these required tools but we have the courage to live by them & be an example to our children of how important rest can truly be in the midst of chaos.
So what will YOU add to your PAM List?